Three classic pitfalls of embedded builds (and how to fix them)
Many embedded software build systems are designed around make – for good reason! It is a generally understood, powerful tool. Attend our webinar to learn about three classic mistakes in build system design. You may find them in your own build, especially if you're using a third-party platform. They're probably causing you headaches, performance problems and broken builds. In this webinar we'll discuss how to overcome these problems based on hundreds of real world experiences.
The presentation will cover:
- Recursive make
- Dangerous incrementals
- Hard to parallelize
- Unnecessary componentization overhead
- Including the world
- Hard to figure out what your build actually does
- Hard to figure out which implicit rule/macro will take precedence
- Reparse is expensive (in recursive make)
- File copies / incremental archiving
- Generated files should never need to be relocated – it's expensive in IO
- Tools like AR are expensive to invoke piecemeal
Scott Castle, Senior Product Manager, Electric Cloud.
As Senior Product Manager at Electric Cloud, Scott Castle has worked with customers around the globe to optimize their build processes. He is a leading expert in build infrastructure systems and cross-platform build and release processes.
Please disable any pop-up blockers for proper viewing of this webinar.