Fundamentals of Linear Regulators
A basic building block in power supply design, linear regulators provide an inexpensive, low noise, and easy-to-use solution for delivering the stable DC voltages needed to power the analog and digital electronics in applications of every type. Yet there’s more to these devices than meets the eye—as many an unwary designer has found out. This course will offer designers—especially those working with digital circuits—an overview geared to help them better select and use these vital components.
The course will include the following topics:
- What is a linear regulator (definition, history)?
- Basic operation
- Linear vs. switching regulators
- Types of linear regulators
- Basic specifications
- Design considerations
- Selecting a linear regulator
- Linear regulator FAQ (real questions received by Linear Technology’s tech support dept.)
The course will also include an example of a linear regulator application.