Optimizing the quality of experience (QoE) for mobile devices using IP analysis
Latest forecast data estimates 1 billion smartphones will be used by the end of 2013. Likewise, tablet PCs continue to replace desktop PCs. With the increase of such personal mobile devices, the popularity of third-party-applications, mobile apps, is strongly growing. However, each of these apps establishes its own communications link to the Internet. Knowing that data performance based on UMTS/HSPA, CDMA2000® and certainly LTE has been greatly enhanced over recent years, it is essential to understand the impact of these applications on the end-user quality of experience (QoE). This webinar will illustrate the implication of applications installed on a smartphone or tablet PC in terms of number of IP connections, list of protocols including protocol name resolution, TCP performance and data volume statistics. It further outlines how QoE can be optimized by applying IP analysis and protocol statistics functionality using leading test and measurement solutions from Rohde & Schwarz.
Attendees will learn:
- Implications of active applications running on a smartphone/tablet PC
- How to analyze the number of IP connections, the used protocols, and the amount of data related to different applications
- How to use TCP analysis to optimize TCP throughput e.g. used with file transfer protocol (ftp)
- Basic understanding of mobile communications standards
- Basic knowledge of HSPA/LTE 3GPP Release 8 principles
- Basic understanding of IP communications
- Engineering and lab managers
- Research and principal engineers
- RF and transceiver design engineers
- Software and protocol development engineers
- Network and systems & test engineers
- Application and support engineers
Meik Kottkamp, Technology Manager, Test & Measurement Division, Rohde & Schwarz, Munich
Meik Kottkamp is technology manager within the test & measurement division of Rohde & Schwarz in Munich. He is responsible for strategic marketing and product portfolio development regarding LTE, LTE-Advanced, HSPA+ and EDGE Evolution. Meik joined Rohde & Schwarz in August 2007. From 1996 to 2007, he worked with Siemens Mobile Communication Networks and Terminals. As standardization manager he was leading a group responsible for the Siemens standardization strategy in 3GPP TSG RAN. Later he was involved in predevelopment projects on broadband technologies Flash OFDM, WiMAX and HSPA+. After creation of NSN in early 2007 he joined LTE product management group. Meik holds a degree of electrical engineering from the University of Hannover / Germany.
Christian Hof, Product Manager, Test & Measurement Division, Rohde & Schwarz, Munich
Christian Hof joined Rohde & Schwarz in Munich as product manager in 2004. He was responsible for the R&S®CompactTSVP test system platform and later for the R&S®CMW270 wireless connectivity tester focusing on WiMAX™ and WLAN, as well as chipset support in production. Since 2010 he is in charge of integrating new LTE FDD and TD-LTE features into the R&S®CMW500 wideband radio communication tester with focus on data end-to-end, IP analysis, eCall and A-GNSS applications. Christian holds a degree in electrical engineering from the University of Applied Sciences in Munich, Germany.