Carrier aggregation—(one) key enabler for LTE-Advanced
Compared with previous technology rollouts (2G, 3G, 3.5G), LTE is by far the fastest adapted technology that the wireless industry has seen up to now. But despite today's LTE deployments being advertised as 4G by all marketing departments of all network operators, strictly speaking they are not 4G. LTE as defined in 3GPP Release 8 does not meet all IMT-Advanced requirements set by ITU to be designated a true 4G mobile communications technology. The 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP), the standardization body behind LTE, is addressing and exceeding these requirements while standardizing LTE-Advanced as part of its Release 10. This webinar focuses on carrier aggregation, the feature that is most in demand within the LTE-Advanced feature set. It also outlines how carrier aggregation is supported by leading test and measurement solutions for LTE and LTE-Advanced from Rohde & Schwarz.
Attendees will learn:
- General understanding of the LTE-Advanced feature set defined in 3GPP Release 10
- Status of carrier aggregation in 3GPP (RAN WG1, RAN WG4) and related test requirements (RAN WG5)
- Types and modes of carrier aggregation based on spectrum availability to network operators worldwide
- Impact on LTE signaling test procedures due to carrier aggregation
- Basic understanding of mobile communications standards
- Basic knowledge of LTE 3GPP Release 8 principles
- Engineering and lab managers
- Research and principal engineers
- RF and transceiver design engineers
- Software and protocol development engineers
- Network and systems & test engineers
- Application and support engineers
Andreas Roessler, Technology Manager for North America, Rohde & Schwarz, Inc.
Andreas Roessler is technology manager for North America at Rohde & Schwarz, Inc. with focus on LTE/LTE-Advanced. His responsibilities include strategic marketing and product portfolio development regarding LTE/LTE-Advanced. He joined Rohde & Schwarz in 2008. Prior to this he worked as product manager at Willtek Communications. He has more than 8 years of experience in the mobile industry and in wireless technologies. He graduated from Otto-von-Guericke University in Magdeburg, Germany, and holds a master degree in communication engineering.
Meik Kottkamp, Technology Manager, Test & Measurement Division, Rohde & Schwarz, Munich
Meik Kottkamp is Technology Manager within the Test & Measurement Division of Rohde & Schwarz in Munich. He is responsible for strategic marketing and product portfolio development regarding LTE, LTE-Advanced, HSPA+ and EDGE Evolution. Meik joined Rohde & Schwarz in August 2007. From 1996 - 2007, he worked with Siemens Mobile Communication Networks and Terminals. As standardization manager he was leading a group responsible for the Siemens standardization strategy in 3GPP TSG RAN. Later he was involved in predevelopment projects on broadband technologies Flash OFDM, WiMAX and HSPA+. After creation of NSN in early 2007 he joined LTE product management group. Meik holds a degree of Electrical Engineering from the University of Hannover / Germany.