datasheets.com EBN.com EDN.com EETimes.com Embedded.com PlanetAnalog.com TechOnline.com
Events
UBM Tech
UBM Tech
Welcome Guest Log In | Register

dB or not dB? Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Decibels But Were Afraid to Ask

Authored on: May 15, 2014 by A. Winter

Technical Paper / Application Note

4 9
More InfoLess Info
True or false: 30 dBm + 30 dBm = 60 dBm?

Why does 1% work out to be -40 dB one time but then 0.1 dB or 0.05 dB the next time? These questions sometimes leave even experienced engineers scratching their heads. Decibels are found everywhere, including power levels, voltages, reflection coefficients, noise figures, field strengths and more. What is a decibel and how should we use it in our calculations? This application note is intended as a refresher on the subject of decibels.

Please disable any pop-up blockers for proper viewing of this paper.

9 comments
write a comment

No Avatar

Jeff.Petro Posted Jul 13, 2011

Excellent refresher.

zeeglen Posted Jul 13, 2011

Good info, but ignores optical measurements. For example, a 3dB optical power loss equates to a 6dB voltage reduction when the photons are converted back to an electrical signal.

No Avatar

johnboy50 Posted Sep 10, 2014

For some reason this paper will not download or view!!!

No Avatar

Erik Charp Posted Sep 10, 2014

Same here!

No Avatar

AnalogEE92056 Posted Sep 15, 2014

Can't download or View

No Avatar

mortizo29772 Posted Sep 15, 2014

disable pop up blockers

No Avatar

Philip_SV Posted Sep 16, 2014

Have to register to download a PDF that we both know promotes your products. You have got to be kidding me! This type of sillyness puts your company on my S... list. Next time I see a link to content from R&S I am less likely to even follow the link. Lost me as a potential customer now, and for the future until I forget how annoyed I am. Half life 3 years? At the time I am writing this comment, there are 6 other comments. Two liked the article, and four couldn't access it. Call me if you want a refresher on how to engage customers.

No Avatar

ChrisK2014 Posted Sep 19, 2014

I was hesitant to register, but figured I woukd give it a try 'cause really interested in article. But like other reviewers, could not download to print or even view the article. Very disappointed and now you have my contact info. I better not start getting spammed over this! Am now inclined to agree with "Philip_SV".

No Avatar

dlamm447 Posted Sep 20, 2014

Very good paper. I'll have to check out the free smartphone apps listed on page 35. My Chrome browser had a problem using the Download to Print link directly, but a simple right-click and a SAVE LINK AS got me the PDF document.

Please Login