Design Con 2015
Welcome Guest Log In | Register

Fundamentals of PCB Design

Posted on: Apr 2, 2010 | Duration: 50 min.
Course | 10454 views
20 43
More Info +- Less Info

This introductory overview of printed-circuit design treats the main difficulties you will likely meet when planning, designing, and manufacturing printed circuit boards for digital applications. From this lecture you will take away many nuggets of wisdom concerning manufacturing technology, signal integrity, EMI, power quality, thermal analysis, and project management. The lecture concludes with a live demonstration of high-level board planning using the Intel(R) Embedded Design Center "Board Planner".
About Dr. Howard Johnson:
Learn directly from the original author of "High-Speed Digital Design: a Handbook of Black Magic", a man who pioneered many products you use every day, like voicemail (ROLM), Fast Ethernet, and Gigabit Ethernet (IEEE 802.3u-z chief technical editor).
Dr. Howard Johnson, in 30 years' experience with digital electronics, has encountered literally thousands of printed circuit boards. He has interacted with over 100,000 digital board designers through his books, seminars and public teachings. In this overview of printed-circuit design he shares his unique perspective on the difficulties you will likely meet when planning, designing, and manufacturing printed circuit boards for digital applications. The lecture touches on manufacturing technology, signal integrity, EMI, power quality, thermal analysis, and project management.
Dr. Johnson frequently conducts technical workshops for digital engineers at Oxford University and other public sites worldwide. Visit his Web site at www.sigcon.com .

View

Please disable any pop-up blockers for proper viewing of this course.

43 comments
write a comment

gkolbe Posted Aug 16, 2010

It`s very usefull ! Thank you

Howard Johnson Posted Aug 16, 2010

Dear gkolbe, what parts did you like best?

Jhon Woo Posted Aug 22, 2013

hello ,Howard,could U offer the .pdf document of this video

pankaj_techie Posted Jan 26, 2011

Extremely good for startup

solg Posted Feb 16, 2011

Dear Dr.Howard Johnson, I just made my first PCB design using dPtrace software, which is easy and handy. Thanks to EETIMES online seminar, I just came across your presentation on PCB which I found to be most precise explanation on PCB. And for that I am thinking to have it on my PC for my future reference. Is that possible to download the materials on EETIMEs on you PC for later use?

adnan_xp Posted Aug 16, 2010

WOW! no need for reading 100 books. that was very precise and effective

Howard Johnson Posted Aug 16, 2010

Dear Adnan, Can you say how you will use the information you gleaned from this course?

GREATTerry Posted Aug 16, 2010

Great course! This course give very detail explanation on how important a good PCB layout can affect the product performance and reliability. PCB layout usually draws the least attention from engineers as they may think this to be a low level workmanship. However, a high performance, especially with nowadays high speed mixed signal design, really is very demanding on layout. I hope people get good enough attention on doing a good layout. It really helps companies to save lots of money in re-spinning the board.

kinnar Posted Aug 17, 2010

This is a very good course for pcb design. It is not very easy for first time learner to grab all the concepts of PCB design but this course is very well organized and gives very good insight towards the specifications of PCB. I have just forwarded it to all my electronics engineering students. Great Course.

sak66 Posted Aug 26, 2010

Very good. Short and concise. I liked the cross talk and EMI part

masmox Posted Aug 26, 2010

Dear Dr. Johnson, is available a document that transcribes the voice of the video? My comprehension of English is low and I do better in reading rather than listening. Thank you.

SkyhighSG Posted Aug 28, 2010

It's good, but still missing many useful and practical techniques to improve your chance of passing FCC and CE for the 1st time. Anyway, tremendous effort from Howard. Thank you!

hkcker Posted Aug 30, 2010

I watched this presentation last week - I wanted to come back to say that it was one of the finest concise technical presentations I've seen (and I've seen a few!). You delivered the main and most interesting aspects, your supporting slides were clear and judiciously selected, and your delivery was pretty much perfect, managing to keep a sense of humour while emphasising key points. Excellent, well done.

Bhola_#1 Posted Aug 31, 2010

It is useful information. I tried concept of reducing coupling between rf lines by reducing height so less em waves couple but it worsen my performance. I believe reducing height add more capacitance with lesser isolation. Any idea

Howard Johnson Posted Sep 7, 2010

Dear Bhola_#1, Regarding your pcb traces, reducing the height above the nearest solid plane layer has two effects: it radically reduces crosstalk, and at the same time it reduces the characteristic impedance of the traces (you know, whether they are 50 ohms or 45 ohms or even lower). If the characteristic impedance becomes too low your drivers can experience difficulty sourcing enough current to properly drive the lines. Changing the impedance also affecs the performance of any terminations present in the system. The solution to these difficulties is simple: shrink the trace width in proportion to the decrease in height (i.e., 10% reduction in height is commensurate with about a 10% reduction in width). By maintaining the same height/width ratio, you do not (much) affect the trace impedance, yet you gain all the crosstalk benefits. Use a 2-D field solver (or ask your board vendor) to find the exact trace width necessary to work with your new height.

Debajit Sarkar Posted Sep 7, 2010

Dear Dr.JOhnson, I sincerely appreciate this presentation that you have put up . The questions that you posed related to the Board planner with the Specialist at Intel were very insightful . Thanks & Regards, Debajit

Sheetal.Pandey Posted Oct 7, 2010

A very good presentation indeed but I guess need to be divided into two parts. Like from 21 onwards can be put into new presentation. I like the BGA part, details on via. I would like to know more on challenges faced with BGA designs?

Bhola_#1 Posted Oct 30, 2010

Thanks Howard I understand this point. I adjusted the trace width to make sure RF traces to be around 50 ohm depending on its new height. I also think there is something else on PCB causing issue. On my bias line, I have high impedance line length between choke n bypass cap. It may be possible it acting as antenna and radiating towards RF traces causing coupling..some kind of DC-RF coupling. One question, reducing height will increase the capacitance and affect the performance even width is adjusted to make it 50 ohm line.

Bhola_#1 Posted Oct 30, 2010

I did find coupling issue between traces. terminated RF end with 50 ohm n measure insertion loss...seeing dip over certain freq range. The only solution I think of is have maximum spacing between two traces depending on board space. But after seeing your presentation, I thought of trying combo ie something reducing height ( that actually make sense too..less height less em coupling)and having space bet traces, but seems like it just like spacing.

gavinsingh Posted Nov 25, 2010

Great course! A broad high-level overview that touched on all the important topics. Thanks!

psykhon Posted Dec 10, 2010

AWESOME presentation! Extremely usefull information! Greetings from Argentina

FelipeBR Posted Dec 28, 2010

Dr.Johnson, It is the best presentation about PCB design I have ever seen. Very useful, mainly for a rookie like me. Best Regards.

seyedceg Posted Mar 26, 2011

Dr.Johnson Very Useful Presentation for beginners who are aspiring to become digital design engineer.Can you suggest me any PCB design tools to start with? Greetings from Singapore Regards, Seyed Mohideen

amisha_shah Posted Apr 29, 2011

Such a wonderful course for revising all the important key points in PCB design. You made it so easy to understand. Please make more courses on signal integrity analysis.

Mohamed.Metwally Posted Jun 4, 2011

super LIKE Doc

DarshanMaiya Posted Jun 16, 2011

Amazing!

jairuz Posted Jul 6, 2011

I learned a lot from this presentation. Cheers from the Philippines!

cena007 Posted Jul 6, 2011

hello howard I found this presentation very very useful and extremely good and it seems to me the overall fruit which has the flavour of many books in it. But Sir I want to keep your this beautiful and amazing work for my future refrence, So can you tell me that how can I download it. Thank you

Infinity Posted Sep 15, 2011

Dear Johnson, I have to design a PCB for my final year project. It might be a 2 or 3 layer pcb. Can you please tell me which software tool(s) would be best for the purpose and easy to use. Regards, Hanan

screwme Posted Feb 7, 2012

Well, you know how you moved that memory DIMM 90deg, what did it do to the signal routing? Where is the SI on that aspect? That would be quite usefull.

prikee Posted Feb 12, 2012

I would like to know what are chances to short or sum two different voltage levels. say each island of voltages are near by

Ing_William Posted Sep 25, 2012

This is very interesting,thank Dr.Howard Johnson

shanes1007 Posted Nov 14, 2012

I am in marketing for a PCB prototyping company and have no background in electrical design. This was extremely helpful!

maogbg Posted Dec 15, 2012

cowgineer Posted Jan 14, 2013

I see "This course has no external links." instead of a button to click to view the course. Does anyone know why?

snandu Posted Jul 18, 2013

An excellent overview. Thanks for the course

Larry Jr Posted Oct 22, 2013

Great first exposure to PCB design with soup to nuts exposure of the main points to consider when designing a PCB. Easy to understand with an engaging presentation. Great job! Especially liked the free Embedded Board Planner tool at the end. This presentation and that tool will save engineers time.

David_shi2013 Posted Oct 27, 2013

Pretty good presentation, very useful, thanks

sureshraparla Posted Dec 18, 2013

Thankyou for a good presentation.

mmkandan Posted Dec 24, 2013

very good

reesaj Posted Jan 20, 2014

Thank you for the tutorial:) designing circuit boards is extremely attractive to me!! I'm in two other fields but would like to jump ship to CBdesign... I'm starting from super beginner level but would like to learn at a fairly fast pace... any ideas on what path to take? Any advice would be highly appreciated:) Thanks --Reesa

007635 Posted Aug 14, 2014

very cool persentasi, thank to share jelly gamat gold g

davsmithlaptop@aim.com Posted Nov 19, 2014

Sorry, only flashed to another screen and came back to this screen.

Please Login